The Other Driver Involved in the Car Accident in California Had No Insurance. What is My Recourse?

California requires anyone who registers a vehicle to carry evidence of financial responsibility. You must be prepared to present such evidence in the following situations: a) when requested by law enforcement, b) when renewing your vehicle's registration, and c) when the vehicle is involved in a car accident. Liability insurance is the main form of proof of financial responsibility. It compensates a person other than the policyholder for personal injury and property damage. The minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles in California are as follows:

There is low cost automobile insurance available in California through the California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program. Other types of financial responsibility besides liability insurance are:

It is illegal not to carry one of these types of financial responsibility if you have a vehicle in this state. That said, there are still many people who violate the law and drive without automobile insurance or another form of financial responsibility. This hurts all of us.


If you have a collision with an uninsured motorist, there are things you can do in order to be compensated for your losses:

Uninsured Motorist coverage is very inexpensive considering the protection you get. It is well worth the money and will help to avoid much expense and much hassle should you get into an accident with a driver who is uninsured. Talk to your insurance agent about how much is appropriate for you.

For more information on California auto accidents, click on the following articles:

How much can I get for my auto accident claim and injury in California? How much is my case worth?

How is responsibility in California determined after a car crash? Who is at fault?

Can I be liable if my car is rear-ended in California?

My car, driven by a relative, was involved in a car crash in California. Am I liable for injuries and damage to the other person if my relative is negligent?

How do I protect my rights when I'm involved in a car accident in California?

I had a car accident in California, other guy's fault, car totaled, but the driver's insurance company will not cover all costs. What are my options now?